One benefit of doing freelance development work is that I get the opportunity to get involved in many different technologies and frameworks in a short amount of time.
Since the year is over… here’s a quick list of 15 technologies/frameworks that I got to learn in 2009 alone, during my last year in college.
- Learned PHP optimization techniques, such as using APC and Memcached
- Worked with the Twitter API to create a Twitter bot
- Learned advanced Google Analytics tools and did multivariable testing of conversion rates with Website Optimizer
- Work with the PayPal Payments Pro API
- Created a simple Facebook App (using FBML)
- Learned some Objective C and worked with XCode and Interface Builder
- Created a basic iPhone App that interacted with an XML web service
- Worked heavily with Magento customization and theming work
- Wrote a WordPress plugin to make deploying multiple sites easier, along with plenty of other WordPress development
- Wrote an ExpressionEngine module to save people time, and other EE work
- Learned about various MySQL performance with different storage engines
- Built a Google Wave Robot at a Google hackathon and demoed it at a WordPress Dev Day
- Worked with the YouTube API to build an automatic video status checker
- Geo-targeting by IP address
- Automatic language detection of text with Google’s Translation API
Hopefully 2010 will bring its own interesting technologies and opportunities to learn!