I wrote my first module for ExpressionEngine, called “Freo Add-on Installer”, with the aim of saving EE developers a lot of time. Here’s what it’s all about.
Each time you set up a website with ExpressionEngine you probably want to install several different modules, extensions, and plugins. Doing that usually involves downloading a .zip file for each add-on, then individually unzipping and uploading each file/folder to the corresponding modules/, extensions/, plugins/, language/, and themes/ folders. Then each time any add-on is updated, you have to repeat the process across all your websites.
With my module, installing other add-ons is basically a one-click process. You just visit the module page (shown below) and then either upload a .zip/.php file, or give it the URL to the source from the developer’s website. Hit one button and my module takes the source file, extracts, and searches through the files and determines where each file/folder goes.
For example, if you just upload a .zip file that contains a folder for a module, a pi.someplugin.php, and a lang.someplugin.php, all of the files will get extracted and moved to their proper locations. If it comes across a file it doesn’t understand, it will let you know.
- ExpressionEngine 1.6.8
- PHP cannot be in Safe Mode
- You may need to change permissions for a few folders if instructed
These likely would only be a problem with some shared hosting companies. (If you need good ExpressionEngine hosting let me know).
- Download freo_addon_installer_1.2.zip and unzip
- Upload the freo_addon_installer/ folder to your system/modules/ folder
- From the Modules page of your EE Control Panel, click “Install” next to “Freo Add-on Installer”
- If you’re running a version of EE older than 1.6.8, copy freo_addon_installer/language/english/lang.freo_addon_installer.php to system/languages/english/
- Please donate to support development of this and future add-ons.
- v1.2 – Bug fixes (Oct. 25, 2009)
- v1.1 – Fixed problem when URLs redirect, like on github download zip URLs. Added better support for installing fieldtypes for Brandon Kelly’s FieldFrame extension. (Oct. 7, 2009)
- v1.0 – Initial Release. (Oct. 7, 2009)
Ideas & Plans:
- Create a long list of known add-ons to choose from so that installing will truly be one-click and not require looking up a source .zip URL.
- Integrate with LG Addon Updater so installing updates will be more of a breeze.
Feedback & Support:
If you encounter any problems or have any ideas for improvement at all please let me know. Leave a comment below and let me know how you like it. This support thread in the forums is the best place to resolve any problems you may have.
Please donate to support development of this and future add-ons.