Updates to the previously beta versions of:
- An event utility
- DOM collection manager
- Connection manager (for AJAX / XHR calls to the server, now with file upload)
- Drag & Drop utility
- Animation Library (now includes color animation support!)
Additionally, the release of improves upon:
- Container (including Module, Overlay, Panel, Tooltip, Dialog, SimpleDialog)
And adds a new control: the Logger (beta).
- I have grown to love the heavily name-spaced nature of the YUI libraries. Sure, at first glance it may seem annoying to have to type YAHOO.util.Event.addListener, but it makes code highly independent and guarantees that it won’t interfere with other functions of the same name. One trick: add YUE = YAHOO.util.Event at the top of your page and you’re golden. I’ll admit, I do miss the $ function, but that can always been added individually.
- The ability to extend the YUI classes is great. Say you need an extremely customized version of the Drag & Drop library. Easy, just take what they give you, and overwrite through inheritance in your own file the individual functions you need to modify.
My absolutely favorite part of developing with the YUI libraries is getting to use these cheat sheets. Go print them now!